Barry Blaustein’s 1999 documentary Beyond the Mat captured lightning in a bottle when it was given access to the behind-the-scenes operations of the World Wrestling Federation at a time when wrestling was enjoying a boom period. Also featuring Blaustein’s exploration of life at the end of the wrestling careers of Jake Roberts and Terry Funk, the film gained further notoriety due to complaints about the movie from both McMahon and Roberts.
Explore the links below for more on Beyond the Mat.
BEYOND THE MAT STORIES
- Jun. 6, 2005: Beyond the Mat documentary review: Powerful storytelling in quiet moments
- Jun. 6, 2005: Barry Blaustein Chat
- Sep. 1, 2000: The Snake bites back at ‘Beyond The Mat’
- Mar. 19, 2000: Hogan, Piper, Foley open up in mainstream media
- Mar. 15, 2000: ‘Beyond the Mat’ embroiled in controversy
- Mar. 9, 2000: WWF puts headlock on ‘Beyond the Mat’
- Jan. 27, 2000: Transcript: Mick Foley on Good Morning America