As news unfolded on the unfortunate passing of The Ultimate Warrior, the wrestling universe showered social media with messages of condolence and memory of one of the most colourful superstars in WWE history.
Warrior, who had just entered WWE’s Hall of Fame this past Saturday and appeared on Raw on Monday, died Tuesday evening.
Former ECW and WWE broadcaster Joey Styles summed up the feelings of almost everyone succinctly on Twitter “Disbelief and sadness . #RIPUltimateWarrior”
WWE Chairman Vince McMahon was among the first to convey the unfortunate news and pass along condolences. “We are all so sad that the Ultimate Warrior has passed away. Our heart is with his wife Dana and his two daughters.”
Howard Finkel, one of the few members of the current WWE staff who worked with Warrior during his active career in the Fed, posted, “Saddened by the passing of @UltimateWarrior. His unique persona left an indelible impression on both young and old alike. #AlwaysBelieve.”
Amy Dumas, a fellow 2014 Hall of Fame inductee, posted a photo of herself, Warrior, Vince McMahon, Triple H and Mr. T together at Saturday’s ceremony on her Twitter account and added, “So Surreal. I remember Vince telling us to go out and have fun because you never knew when it would be our last. So bummed to end such an amazing week with the awful news of this tragedy. My thoughts are with the family of @UltimateWarrior.”
Other tributes poured in quickly:
- Daniel Bryan – Heartbroken. My sincerest condolences go out to The Warrior’s family. Seeing how much he loved his daughters and his wife this weekend makes it all the more heartbreaking. The Ultimate Warrior was my favorite as a kid, and getting to speak to him this weekend was one of my favorite moments. He was so nice to me.”
- Sheamus – “He inspired me. He inspired us all. #iamwarrior #immortal.”
- Orlando Colon (Fernando of Los Matadores) – “Met Ultimate Warrior Saturday, now he’s gone.Life is crazy. Happy I met one of my childhood heroes, even if it was for a moment.”
- Rey Mysterio – “RIP Ultimate Warrior, may God give his family the strength to overcome this tragedy!!”
- Chris Jericho – “If you were a WWF fan in the late 80s this man was GOD. His heavy metal hair, off the charts.”
- Trish Stratus – “Sad to hear news of Warrior passing. Just seeing him happy last 3 days – it puts life in perspective that it can’t be taken for granted. RIP”