Tuesday, February 7th, 2023
Word is that Trish Stratus, Lita and Becky Lynch will be taking on Damage Control at Elimination Chamber.
NXT has “suspended” Grayson Waller for interfering in Shawn Michaels’ media call after Vengeance Day.
Despite what Shawn Michaels says Mandy Rose insists the he is the one who fired her. “It came from Shawn Michaels himself. So, I knew it was coming from the Head of Creative. So I knew that was it. I didn’t really have to go and seek other answers even though I wanted other answers but at that moment I had to do my job and get planning our match and everything else we had to do that night,” she said on the The Sessions with Renee Paquette.
Here are the ratings from the tail-end of last week:
- Friday night’s Smackdown on Fox had 2,384,000 viewers and a huge .61 in the key 18-49 demo. In that all-important demo, the show beat out all other shows on TV, both network and cable. It also did really well in the Adults 18-34 and Adults 25-54 categories, beating out nearly all other shows.
- Young Rock, on the other hand, not so much. It scored 1,259,000 viewers with a .22 in the key demo. The show lost about a third of the audience for the lead-in show Lopez vs. Lopez.
- AEW Rampage came in 28th place among cable shows that night, with 406,000 viewers and a .11 in the key demo.
Knock at the Cabin, the new movie starring Dave “Batista” Bautista, topped the domestic box office charts this past weekend. The movie grossed $14.1 Million USD in its opening weekend, knocking the Avatar sequel from the top spot for the first time since the movie was released 8 weeks ago.
On this date in 1925, legendary Canadian star Hans Schmidt was born. Schmidt was a star in the 50s and 60s, and after retiring, pretty much stayed out of the business. We were able to track him down for a rare interview back in 1998, and have a few other stories about him, which you definitely check out in our archives, including his obituary from 2012.
Today is February 27th, or written another way, 2-7. Say… remember when Goldust transitioned to Seven in WCW? Here’s his debut as that character. This version cuts off before he infamously cut a worked shoot promo dumping all over the new gimmick and abandoning it. But if you Google it, you can find that video pretty easily (mind the language, though).
Monday, February 6th, 2023
2K today revealed in-depth details surrounding WarGames debuting in WWE 2K23. The Ringside Report created by the Visual Concepts team dives into the fan-favorite and chaotic WarGames, outlining the rules, arenas, gameplay details and more. Check out Ringside Report #1 here. WWE 2K23 comes out on March 17th.
WWE’s Mace replied to a fan who apparently isn’t a fan of the Maximum Male Models.
for my birthday, let’s stop complaining about my job for me. i’m quite content being silly with my best friend 😘 https://t.co/78egQG2hln
— ma.çé (@MACEtheWRESTLER) February 5, 2023
Chris Jericho’s Rock ‘n Rager cruise ran this past weekend. During the event, Jericho teamed up with Danhausen, and even sported his partner’s look for the match.
Also on the cruise, Matt Cardona won the Oceanic Championship, and tweeted about his victory.
King of the Internet
King of the Death Match
King of the Indies
— The Major Wrestling Figure Podcast (@MajorWFPod) February 6, 2023
Here are the results from the WWE Live event in Pensacola, Florida, last night:
- Bianca Belair and Becky Lynch defeated Bayley and IYO Sky
- Jimmy Uso and Solo Sikoa defeated Braun Strowman and Ricochet
- Candice LeRae defeated Piper Niven
- The Brawling Brutes defeated Imperium
- Bray Wyatt defeated LA Knight – Lights Out Street Fight Match
- Charlotte Flair (c) defeated Liv Morgan and Sonya Deville – WWE SmackDown Women’s Title Match
- Cody Rhodes defeated Seth Rollins
Sonya Deville was busted open the hard way and had to be taken to the back for medical assistance during the above house show.
— Daria/Sonya Deville (@SonyaDevilleWWE) February 6, 2023
Sunday, February 5th, 2023
Word is that you haven’t seen Dragon Lee in NXT yet is because he is having visa complications.
Maximum Male Models has been moved to the Raw brand.
Booker T’s Reality of Wrestling promotion has struck a deal with NXT.
The Wrestling Observer has reported that Comcast is no longer interested in purchasing the WWE and that decision might affect the interest of other parties.
As viewers saw last night, Dijak was injured during last night’s Vengeance Day pay-per-view match with Wes Lee. His finger was dislocated (as Shawn Michaels confirmed) and the graphic injury was briefly shown. It wasn’t as brutal as the infamous broken leg that Sid Vicious suffered but… If you are curious, check out Dijak’s official Twitter at @TBARRetribution.
During a media call after Vengeance Day, Shawn Michaels assured everyone that Dijak’s finger wasn’t broken, just disjointed as x-rays proved, and doctors reset it. He also said that he would like NXT to go on the road for their weekly show but it is not known whether that would be viable right now. During the call Michaels was interrupted by Grayson Waller.
— Moments From Wrestling History (@wwrestlehistory) February 5, 2023
Due to circumstances beyond our control we will not have a full report on today’s NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo. Full NJPW coverage will return shortly but here are the results:
- The United Empire (Great-O-Khan, Will Ospreay, TJP and Francesco Akira) defeated Just 4 Guys (DOUKI, TAKA Michinoku, Taichi and Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
- Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado, Ren Narita and Yuto Nakashima defeated House of Torture (Dick Togo, EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi and Sho)
- Bullet Club (Taiji Ishimori and KENTA) defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi and Master Wato
- Jado, Hikuleo and Tama Tonga defeated Bullet Club (Gedo, Jay White and El Phantasmo)
- Ryusuke Taguchi, Shota Umino, Toru Yano and Kazuchika Okada defeated Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA, Shingo Takagi, BUSHI and Tetsuya Naito)
- (Bishamon) YOSHI-HASHI and Hirooki Goto (c) defeated TMDK (Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste) – IWGP Tag Team Championship
- Zack Sabre Jr. (c) defeated Tomohiro Ishii – NJPW World TV Championship
- Hiromu Takahashi (c) defeated YOH – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
Saturday, February 4th, 2023
It’s highly probable that Jimmy and Jey Uso will not be appearing at Elimination Chamber or on the Smackdown the night before. In light of their previous DUI offences, they may not be able to cross the Canadian border for those shows.
On this date in 1990, legendary Canadian wrestler “Whipper” Billy Watson passed away at the age of 74. You can read about his life and career in our archives.
The George Tragos/Lou Thesz Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame in Waterloo, Iowa, has started to announce honorees for its induction weekend, July 20-22, 2023. It is debuting a Trainer Award and will posthumously honor Professor Boris Malenko, with Joe Malenko in attendance for sure to receive his father’s award. The other announced honoree is wrestling historian Tom Burke who will received the 2023 Jim Melby Award. Ticket information is here.
The Celebration of Life for Kenny Jay will be held Sunday, February 26th from 4-8 pm at American Legion Post 643 in Savage, Minnesota.
Nia Jax has admitted that the WWE didn’t give her much time to prepare for the Royal Rumble.
To further their upcoming WrestleMania feud Seth Rollins spoke to TMZ about Logan Paul. “At the end of the day, he’s just not a wrestler. You know? He doesn’t want to be a wrestler. He just wants to be famous,” he said. You can read the story and watch the video here.
Happy birthday to Eddie Sharkey, trainer of champions like the Road Warriors, Rick Rude, Barry Darsow, and Madusa.
New on Slam Wrestling:
Due to circumstances beyond our control there will be no NJPW report today but here are the results of today’s New Beginning event.
- Great-O-Khan beat Oskar Leube
- Ryohei Oiwa, Ren Narita, El Desperado and Minoru Suzuki beat House of Torture (Dick Togo SHO Yujiro Takahashi and EVIL)
- TMDK (Kosei Fujita, Shane Haste, Mikey Nicholls and Zack Sabre Jr. beat YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto and Yuto Nakashima
- Master Wato, Hikuleo, Tama Tonga and Hiroshi Tanahashi defeated Bullet Club (Taiji Ishimori, El Phantasmo, KENTA and Jay White)
- Los Ingobernables de Japon BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA and Shingo Takagi beat YOH, Ryusuke Taguchi, Toru Yano and Kazuchika Okada
- Catch 22 Francesco Akira and TJP (c) beat (Just 4 Guys (DOUKI and Yoshinobu Kanemaru) to retain the IWGP Jr. Tag Team Championships.
- Will Ospreay defeated Taichi
- Tetsuya Naito defeated Shota Umino
It’s February 4th, or written another way, 2-4. Speaking of 2-by-4s, here’s a look at the WWE Hall of Famer “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan.
As we all know, one of Duggan’s trademarks was his scream of “Hooooo!” Speaking of hos, here’s a video of everyone’s favourite pimp, the Godfather.
Segues ain’t easy.