The WWE’s COVID-19 problem just got worse.
Pro Wrestling Sheet is reporting that three more employees have tested positive for COVID-19 this week.
These employees attended the Performance Center in the past and are in-ring talent.
Last week, WWE confirmed another case of COVID-19 which originated from a developmental talent who was last on site on June 9.
“Since that time, no other individuals that attended the facility have reported symptoms. However, out of abundance of caution and to ensure the health and safety of the company’s performers and staff, all talent, production crew and employees on site at the training and production facilities will be tested for COVID-19 immediately,” said Dr. Jeffrey Dugas, the WWE’s associate medical director, in a statement at the time.
A few months ago, a WWE employee named “John” implored the Orange County Board of County Commissioners to halt the WWE tapings saying: “My employer World Wrestling Entertainment aka WWE is forcing me to work the TV tapings for the weekly shows despite stay-at-home orders for coronavirus. I am unable to speak out, as I need this job and I know I will be fired if I approach my higher-ups. Despite sanitary precautions we cannot maintain social distancing and we need to touch other people. I request the government to shutdown these tapings and enforce the stay-at-home orders for the coronavirus so my colleagues and I can follow social distancing rules without fear or repercussion of losing our jobs.”
The WWE responded by stating: “These accusations aren’t true. Employees know they can confidentially go to Human Resources, not the public. Notwithstanding the appropriate protocol, no one would be fired if they were uncomfortable with their surroundings. We’ve made accommodations for individuals upon request.”
In April, another WWE employee who was not an on-screen performer tested positive for coronavirus, was placed under quarantine and has since recovered.
Kevin Owens made headlines when he bowed out of a taping of Raw recently due to COVID-19 concerns.
On the Bump today, Owens addressed the situation.
“You know there’s no push-back I mean I don’t think there would be push back on anybody and the way my mind is once it’s made it that’s the way it’s gonna be. They were respectful of my decision and I’m glad that I took it and it was the best thing for my family,” he said.
COVID-19 cases in Florida have spiked since the state has ushered in reopening plans with many bars, restaurants and other businesses closing down once again due to more outbreaks. Today alone there have been 5,508 new cases which brings the total in the state to 109,014.
As a precaution, AEW has announced that they are replacing The Natural Nightmares with SCU tonight on Dynamite as QT Marshall had “brief contact with a non-wrestling acquaintance who since tested positive for COVID-19”.
AEW Champion Jon Moxley has also been pulled from tonight’s show.
AEW President Tony Khan Tweeted this message about the change:
Recently @JonMoxley had contact with someone who had contact with someone who has COVID-19. Mox did the right thing & warned us. Doc asked him to stay home & get tested to protect us here at our test site. Cage will be in action tonight on #AEWDynamite ahead of their title fight pic.twitter.com/TWbskkzU2Z
— Tony Khan (@TonyKhan) June 24, 2020