The German great, Waldo von Erich, died suddenly last night at Grand River Hospital in Kitchener. He was 75.
“His death was unfortunate and it wasn’t his time to go,” explained one of his daughters, Mary Jane Berry, to SLAM! Wrestling. He had been admitted to hospital after a fall on Sunday.
She knows how the fans will remember her father: “He was the dirty one, such a dirty wrestler,” she laughed.
“Even though he was mean in the ring, he was a gentleman outside it, and anyone who knew him knows that.”
Funeral arrangements have not been established, but it will be in Elmira, Ontario, which the Toronto-born von Erich (born Wally Sieber) has called home for years.
- July 13, 2009: A final goodbye to Waldo von Erich
- July 7, 2009: Waldo von Erich: The consummate heel
- July 6, 2009: The fans share Waldo von Erich memories
- March 18, 2009: Waldo von Erich Q&A: Part 2
- March 11, 2009: Waldo von Erich Q&A: Part 1